Below I will start posting easy kid-friendly recipes I have found the entire family enjoy. Check back often for updates.
I made the below dish yesterday wich was a hit with everyone. My husband RAVED over it, and asked for the leftovers as soon as he got up to go to work at midnight.
STUFFED JUMBO SHELLS –
1 Box Jumbo Shells (cooked according to package directions)
8oz container of Onion and Chive flavor Cream Cheese
Spaghetti Sauce of your choice * mixed with Browned hamburger, turkey, or sausage.
(I used my usual vegetable packed Spaghetti Sauce with Sausage (*For Recipe See Below: “Spaghetti w/Hidden Vegetables)
Spray 9 X 13 baking dish with Non-Stick Cooking Spray.
Spread Cream Cheese into center of each Cooked Jumbo Shell and arrange in a single layer in the baking dish.
Cover Shells with Meat and Spaghetti Sauce
Sprinkle top with Parmesan Cheese.
Bake at 350° for 30 minutes.
The following Recipe is a Childhood Favorite…..
3 pkgs Corn Bread Mix
2 1/2 cups Milk
1/2 cup Crisco Oil
3 tbsp Sugar
1 tsp Garlic Powder
1 lg Onion, chopped
3 Eggs, beaten
1 lb Sausage, cooked and crumbled
2 cups grated Cheddar Cheese
1 can Cream Style Corn
2 Jalapeno Peppers, chopped. (For mild cornbread, remove seeds)
Combine all ingredients in large bowl. Mix thoroughly. Bake at 350° for 45 minutes to 1 hour.
Tuesday’s and Thursday’s are very busy nights for our family. The kids have Tumbling and Hapkido, so there is very little time from when they walk in the door from school, until we are heading out to leave for practice. Dinner on these nights used to be a quick late night trip to McDonalds after practice was over, but now that I am home, we are watching our budget , and also trying to eat more healthy, no more fast foods. I usually try to cook the meal before they even get home so they can just walk in the door, eat, and then we leave, but sometimes, like tonight, I have nothing fixed. I needed something STAT.
Below is a very simple, VERY QUICK meal that can be made in no time flat, and the kids LOVE it!
3 13oz. cans Chicken Breast in water. Any brand (I buy them at Sams…)
1pkg. Taco Seasoning
1pkg. Taco Shells, or Flour Tortillas
*optional add ins: 1 can Black Beans, 1 Can Corn.
1. Dump all three cans of chicken breast into a large skillet. Heat over medium high heat.
2. Add Package of Taco Seasoning according to directions. Use more or less water to taste.
3. Heat Taco Shells or Tortillas according to package directions.
4. Serve seasoned chicken in the shells or tortillas with choice of toppings.
This is just a very simple version of Tacos, but takes MUCH less time. The chicken is pre-cooked, and there is no need to drain, so the “cooking” time is drastically reduced.
TOASTED SUB SANDWICH
* This is one that my kids LOVE. It is a popular request, and very simple. I do different variations of this sandwich, so will list them all below.
1 French Loaf of Bread
Any left over Roast or fajita meat on hand
Mozzarella Cheese, Shredded
* optional add ons: Onion (white, red, or yellow), Bell Peppers (I use Green, Red, and Yellow), and Mushrooms, sautéed together in small skillet with non-stick cooking spray, no butter.
1. If I am using left over Roast, I usually shred it and heat in a skillet. You can season this with any seasonings you like. I usually use Cavendars Seasoning, Garlic Salt, and Pepper (to taste). Other times I will heat the roast in a skillet with some barbecue sauce. Left over Beef and Chicken Fajita meat can also be used , or you can use the pre-cooked packages of Beef or Chicken Fajita Meat found in the grocery store. Simply heat in skillet or microwave.
2. Place slit French Bread on cookie sheet and spread open. The bread should be able to open wide enough to make a large “pocket” down the center, but still connected at the bottom.
3. Bake slit bread in oven at 400° until the top is slightly toasted, then remove from oven.
4. Fill center ‘pouch” of bread with the heated meat of your choice, and the sautéed onions, peppers, and mushrooms if desired. If I am using the Fajita meat, I usually do half chicken/half steak.
5. Top with shredded Mozzarella Cheese.
6. Bake in oven until cheese is all melted.
** This sandwich is very versatile, and a variety of meats and vegetables could be used. Customize according to your families tastes and preferences.
1 to 2 lbs. Lean Ground Beef
1 Box Stove Top Stuffing Mix
1 cup Water
Mix all ingredients and press into 12 muffin cups sprayed with cooking spray. Make an indentation in the center of each “muffin” with spoon. Fill with Barbecue Sauce. (ketchup can also be used).
* You can also add other items to your meatloaf: diced onion, chopped bell pepper, 3/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese, 1tsp garlic powder, 2 egg whites.
4 Boneless Skinless Chicken Breast (1 whole fryer can also be used, deboned)
1 Can Cream of Mushroom Soup
1 Can Cream of Chicken Soup
1lb Velveeta Cheese
Boil Chicken until done. After chicken is done, use the broth to boil spaghetti in. Add water as needed but do not drain. (Instead I boiled my spaghetti in water with chicken bouillon cubes…) Add cheese and soups; Add boneless chicken, cut into bite size pieces. (I shredded mine). Stir until cheese is melted.
Optional Stir in Ideas: 2 Cans Rotel Tomatoes, 1 Large Bell Pepper Diced, 1/2 Stick of Margarine
* Both my daughters love the Tex Mex Version (the stir in ideas above), but for my boys to eat it, I make the original version.
SPAGHETTI (WITH HIDDEN VEGETABLES)
I have a very hard time getting my youngest son to eat vegetables. So yesterday I snuck some in his Spaghetti and he never knew…
1 Jar favorite Spaghetti Sauce ( I used Eggplant with Garlic spaghetti sauce)
1 Red Onion, diced
2 * zucchinis sliced and diced. (for the very picky eaters, be sure to remove the outer dark green rind so this will not be visible to them, and keep zucchini bits small)
1lb Italian Sausage, browned and crumbled. (hamburger meat can also be used)
Saute red onions and zucchini’s together in small skillet until tender. While these saute, brown sausage in large skillet until well done. Drain. Add Sauteed vegetables and jar of Spaghetti Sauce.
Simmer over low heat until Spaghetti is done. Serve Spaghetti Sauce over Cooked Spaghetti.
* I used what vegetables I had on hand yesterday. Other vegetable ideas are: Egg Plant, Bell Pepper, Mushrooms